Mother’s Day is just around the corner (May 14th!) and if you are looking for a great brunch recipe to treat your Mom to, this is a great one folks!
These lemon poppy seed scones are the perfect breakfast treat to whip up while entertaining because all the prep work can be done the day before. Then all you have to do is pop in your oven and bake!
They are light and flakey, buttery and sweet. Not like those hard boulders you get at the coffee shop that feel like a lead weight hit your stomach 🙂 these are flakey, crumbly, triangles of goodness! Treat yourself and Mom right!
For a step-by-step demo of this recipe you can watch my video tutorial below.
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube Channel (it’s free!) and never miss a recipe!
- 2 cups (240g) flour
- ¼ cup (50 g) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) of baking powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon zest
- 10 tbsp (150 g) cold butter, diced into cubes
- ½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream + 1 tsp for brushing tops
- 1 egg
- ¾ tsp (3.75ml) pure lemon extract
- Raw, turbinado sugar for tops
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Line sheet pan with parchment paper. In a bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, poppy seeds and lemon zest. Add butter and work by hand until dough resembles a coarse meal.
- Mix the egg with the cream and lemon extract. Create a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour wet mixture in well. Gently mix with a fork until combined, and then grab dough with floured hands.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Shape dough into a square, cut into 4 squares and then cut the squares into triangles. You will have 8 triangles.
- Brush each scone lightly with heavy cream and a sprinkle with the raw sugar.
- Pop tray in freezer for 5 mins to firm up, (or fridge for 15 mins) and then bake for 12-13 mins until golden brown.
- Serve with raspberry jam.