Mother's Day is just around the corner and if you are looking for a great brunch recipe to treat your Mom to, this is a great one folks!
These scones are so light and flakey and flavored with just the right amount of lemon. Serve them with some raspberry jam and sail off to heaven!
For a step-by-step demo of this recipe you can watch my video tutorial below
These lemon poppy seed scones are also the perfect breakfast treat to whip up while entertaining because all the prep work can be done the day before. Then all you have to do is pop in your oven and bake!
MORE GREAT BRUNCH RECIPES!
- Easy Strawberry Lemon Muffins
- Honey Lavender Creme Brûlée
- Cheesy, Herby Egg Bake
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a rating and review below
- 2 cups (240g) flour
- ¼ cup (50 g) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) of baking powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon zest
- 10 tbsp (150 g) cold butter, diced into cubes
- ½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream + 1 tsp for brushing tops
- 1 egg
- ¾ tsp (3.75ml) pure lemon extract
- Raw, turbinado sugar for tops
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Line sheet pan with parchment paper. In a bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, poppy seeds and lemon zest. Add butter and work by hand until dough resembles a coarse meal.
- Mix the egg with the cream and lemon extract. Create a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour wet mixture in well. Gently mix with a fork until combined, and then grab dough with floured hands.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Shape dough into a square, cut into 4 squares and then cut the squares into triangles. You will have 8 triangles.
- Brush each scone lightly with heavy cream and a sprinkle with the raw sugar.
- Pop tray in freezer for 5 mins to firm up, (or fridge for 15 mins) and then bake for 12-13 mins until golden brown.
- Serve with raspberry jam.
You can make the dough ahead of time, cut into triangles, place on your baking tray (covered) and refrigerate. Then all you have to do is bake!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 245mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g