One of my favorite Italian desserts is Tiramisu! But let’s face it, it’s not the quickest recipe to make. That’s why I love this Tiramisu Cupcake recipe! You get all the great flavor of a traditional tiramisu…but without all the hassle!
This is also a great cupcake recipe to bring to a potluck or backyard BBQ because they are such a conversation piece!
WATCH A PREVIEW VIDEO OF THIS RECIPE BELOW!
(Full video demo is in the recipe card below)
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more recipe videos! (it’s free!)
STEP#1:Make the Cupcakes
I love this cupcake recipe because all you need are 2 bowls and a whisk!
No need for the electric mixer at this stage. You’ll only need it for the frosting.
I think these cupcakes look extra fancy in these cute brown cupcake liners with gold foil. They remind me of Italian espresso cups (see shop link below for source)
STEP#2: Prepare the Coffee Mixture
The rich coffee rum flavor of these cupcakes comes from brushing their tops with a mixture of espresso and rum extract.
You could use real rum, but I find you get more “rum” flavor from the rum extract and it’s cheaper too!
You’ll pierce the cupcakes with a fork to allow this mixture to soak in easily.
Then just brush the tops with this mixture 2-3 times with a pastry brush.
STEP#3: Make the Frosting
The frosting is a delicious combination of mascarpone cheese and lightly sweetened whipped cream.
You’ll fold the cream into the cheese, lightening it with each addition.
TIP: Make sure your mascarpone cheese is at rom temperature. This will make it easier to fold them whipped cream in and create a lighter fluffy mixture.
STEP#4: Garnish the Cupcakes
The garnish on these cupcakes really seals the deal on the Tiramisu experience!
I like to use a combination of unsweetened cocoa powder placed in a sugar shaker and dust the tops of each cupcake.
The cocoa powder sticks to each frosting coil separately and creates a really beautiful effect. Then top with some freshly grated dark chocolate on top.
MAKE IT A MEAL!
These items would make great additions to this dessert!
- Homemade Lasagna. A rich beef ragu combines with a creamy bechamel sauce for one fantastic homemade lasagna!
- Caesar Salad. Homemade dressing is so much better than store-bought. Serve with or without the chicken.
Please let me know if you make this Tiramisu Cupcake Recipe by leaving a rating and review below!
For the cupcakes:
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup of espresso or strong coffee
- 1 tsp of rum extract
For the frosting:
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 5 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz of mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 oz of dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake papers and set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil and water. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Fill each cupcake well 2/3 of the way full. Bake at 350F (175C) for 15-17 minutes. Allow to cool.
Meanwhile, whisk together the coffee and rum extract. Brush the coffee mixture on top of each cupcake with a pastry brush, 2-3 times to allow the mixture to seep into the cake. Set aside
- In a large bowl add the mascarpone cheese and smear it around with a spatula to soften it. Beat together the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla extract with an electric mixer. Fold the heavy cream, in thirds, into the mascarpone cheese, lightening the cheese with each addition of the cream.
- Transfer the frosting to a large pastry bag fitted with a round 1/2" tip (13mm). Working around the perimeter of the cupcake, pipe concentric coils around the cupcake creating 3 rings and finishing at the top creating a soft peak.
- Place cocoa powder in a sugar shaker and dust the top of each cupcake with the cocoa power. Then grate the dark chocolate on top with a microplane zester or cheese grater.
- Serve immediately or keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Remove from refrigerator 30 mins before serving and keep at room temperature. This will allow the frosting to soften.
Remove cupcakes from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the frosting to get to room temperature.
Make sure the mascarpone cheese is at room temperature before using for the frosting. It will make it easier to incorporate into the cream that way.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 551 Total Fat: 44g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 24g Cholesterol: 102mg Sodium: 177mg Carbohydrates: 34g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 20g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g