This Cherry Tomato Bruschetta Recipe is so easy to throw together for last-minute guests. It's one of my favorite end-of-summer appetizer recipes because it has so many fresh flavors and comes together in a snap!
Cherry tomatoes are so easy to prep because they have so much flavor and only need to be sliced down the middle! For another great Cherry, tomato recipe try my Angel Hair Pasta with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, Mozzarella, and Basil! A wonderful summer pasta recipe!
Watch My Video Demo of This Recipe Below!
Also in this video is my complete Summer Garden Tour!
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel and Never Miss a Video!
Step 1: Prep the Tomatoes
I like to use a combination of red, orange, and yellow cherry tomatoes for the color they provide. They look beautiful against the purple and green basil, and I think they each impart a unique flavor that will make your bruschetta even more interesting!
To start, slice the cherry tomatoes in half and add them to a mixing bowl. Halving the tomatoes prevents any awkward explosions at the table.
Then, toss with a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Chiffonade the purple ruffle basil and traditional green basil, and add to the bowl as well.
If you can't find purple basil, you can just double up on the green basil!
Does purple basil taste different?
Purple basil isn't as strong as green basil. It also has a slightly different flavor to it somewhere between a hint of clove and licorice.
Step 2: Grill the Bread
In the summertime, I love to use grilled ciabatta bread brushed with seasoned olive oil. The char around the edge of each slice provides great flavor! It's also easy to do if you already plan to grill dinner. Before grilling, slice your ciabatta loaf into ½ " slices, and layout flat.
Then, combine olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, and fresh parsley in a small bowl. Whisk up with a fork, then brush both sides of the bread with the oil.
Heat a grill pan or BBQ to medium-high heat. Grill bread on each side until nicely toasted.
Step 3: Assemble and Serve!
Place the grilled bread on a platter or pretty cutting board and top with the tomato mixture and serve. It's that easy!
I think this pairs really nicely with a chilled rose wine!
More Great Summer Recipes!
If you Enjoyed this Recipe
Please Leave a Rating and a Review Below!
- 1 loaf of ciabatta bread
- 1 cup (150 g) red cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup (150 g) orange or yellow cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup(60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) fresh Italian basil, sliced into ribbons
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) fresh Purple Basil*, sliced into ribbons
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) flat leaf parsley, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice tomatoes in half. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil, season with salt and pepper, add basils. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, and fresh parsley. Slice bread into ½ " slices. Brush both sides of bread with the olive oil.
- Heat a grill pan or BBQ to medium high heat. Grill bread on with side until nicely toasted. Top with tomato mixture and serve.
If you can't find purple basil, you can use all green basil.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 316mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g