These Sausage and Cheese Pinwheels are always one of the first things to disappear at any party. They are one of my favorite appetizer recipes for holiday entertaining because they are so easy to make, can be made ahead of time, and are always a crowd favorite!
They are the perfect combination of flakey pastry, spicy sausage, and cheesy goodness!
Watch My Video Demo of This Recipe Below!
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel and Never Miss a Recipe!
STEP#1: Prepare the Puff Pastry
If you purchase puff pastry which folded, it will have seams. It’s important to roll out these seams because you will ultimately be forming the pastry into a log, and having the seams rolled out will prevent the pastry from cracking and the filling from spilling out.
STEP#2: Add the Filling
Line the pastry with the first layer of Italian blend cheese. Adding the cheese first will serve as a sticky layer that will hold the sausage in place.
Most Italian cheese blends include a mixture of gooey cheese such as mozzarella, or Provolone and flavorful cheese like Asiago or Parmesan cheese.
If you can’t find the Italian blend, then just use an equal measure of gooey cheese such as mozzarella and a flavorful cheese such as Asiago cheese.
Then add the layer of cooked Italian sausage and the herbs. I like the spicy Italian sausage for a little kick, but you could also use the mild sausage too. If you have any leftover sausage you can put it to good use in my Orecchiette Pasta with Sausage and Baby Broccoli.
STEP#3: Slice and Bake
Roll up the log tightly and slice into 1/2 inch rounds. Space the rounds about 2-inches apart as they will spread in the oven.
You can wrap the log in a layer of wax paper and foil and place it in the refrigerator up to 3 days ahead of baking. Or store in the freezer for one month. If freezing, leave the log out on your countertop for 20 minutes to soften a bit, then you can slice and bake right away.
More Holiday Recipes You’ll Enjoy!
- Apple Cinnamon Pastries
- Goat Cheese Tartlets with Carmelized Onions
- Maple Glazed Pork Loin with Cranberries and Apples
- Twice Baked Potatoes
If You Enjoyed this Pinwheel Recipe
Please Leave a Rating and Review Below
- 2 hot Italian Sausage links, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tsp (5 ml) of Italian seasoning
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) of Italian Blend Cheese
- 1 egg, well beaten
- Preheat Oven to 400F (200C)
- Roll out pastry on to a floured surface. Roll over pastry to assure panel seems are tightly sealed so it won’t break apart.
- Brush egg wash across short side of pastry 1 inch (2.5cm) from the end this will be to seal the seam once we roll up our pinwheels.
- Sprinkle cheese across pastry. Sprinkle Italian Seasoning on top of cheese. Add crumbled cooked hot Italian sausage.
- Roll pastry into a log being careful to roll tightly so filling does not spill out. Seal tightly at ends.
- Slice into ½ inch (13 mm) rounds, place on parchment lined cookie sheet and bake 12-15 mins until golden brown and puffed up.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 40Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 76mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g