Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti is a classic cookie I love to make around Christmastime because it’s the perfect thing to serve when guests pop in for a cup of coffee.
The combination of the rich chocolate mixed with the crunch of the hazelnuts is such a fantastic flavor combination. These also are great for gifting as well.
The recipe (which follows below) does involve a few steps, none of it is hard, just a bit time-consuming. But trust me the results are worth it! You’ll begin by toasting your hazelnuts.
Once toasted transfer to a clean kitchen towel…
…fold the towel up to allow the warmth of the nuts to “steam” their skins off. (this is the slightly tedious part)
But they do slide right off, and in fact this is a great project for little hands that “need a project” so if you have any kids at home? Ha!
It’s OK if a few have a little skin left on here and there, don’t make yourself totally crazy trying to remove every little bit. They should just look like this.
Chop up some good quality chocolate. I really like the Ghiradelli 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate for this. (This link goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner)
The chocolate will combine with dry and wet ingredients to create a nice dough.
You’ll shape the dough into a log and bake it until puffed up and cooked through…
What temperature do you bake biscotti?
The best temperature for baking biscotti is 300F. This allow the dough to both bake on the inside but also “dry out” without burning.
You’ll use this temperature for both baking turns (the log and the slices).
Once the log is baked, you’ll then slice it into thick 1″ slices…
How to cut biscotti without breaking?
I think the secret with preventing your biscotti from crumbling when you slice it to 1.) Make sure you use a serrated bread knife and 2.) Make sure your biscotti has cooled for at least 6-8 minutes.
If you try to cut it right out of the oven it will crumble and if you wait too long, it will become too hard and it will crack! So somewhere around 6-8 minutes is the sweet spot.
Once sliced, you’ll bake again. This is how the biscotti receives its hard, dry texture.
After baking for a second time, presto! Beautiful biscotti will be yours!
How long do homemade biscotti last?
These biscotti will last for up to 3-4 days in the fridge (if they last that long before eating them up!)
To watch a step-by-step demo of this Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti recipe you can watch my video below.
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL and never miss a recipe (it’s free!) and new videos post each Saturday!
For another chocolate hazelnut recipe try my Chocolate Hazelnut Linzer Cookies
Or my Chocolate Hazelnut Tarts
Please let me know if you make this Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti Recipe by leaving a rating and review belowPrint
Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti Cookie Recipe. A great Christmas Cookie for holiday gifting!
- 1 cup (150g) of hazelnuts
- 3 oz (84g) of bittersweet chocolate
- ¾ cup (135g) brown sugar
- 1 ½ cup (180g) flour
- ¼ cup (30 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) instant coffee granules mixed with 2 tbsp hot water
- Preheat oven to 350F/(176C).
- Place hazelnuts on a rimmed lined cookie sheet and bake at 350F/(176C) for 10 mins.
- Remove from the oven and pour onto a clean kitchen towel, wrap in towel and “steam” for 10 minutes. This will help to remove the skins. Remove as much skin as you can, and set nuts aside.
- Then chop the chocolate into very fine pieces, place in a large bowl, add brown sugar, and mix to combine.
- Then in a smaller bowl add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar and chocolate mixer and mix to combine, add the eggs, vanilla and “mixed coffee”. Beat to combine until a dough forms. Add roasted/skinned hazelnuts.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp (15 ml) of cocoa powder on a cutting board and form dough into a log about 9” (23 cm) x 4” (10 cm) .
- Transfer to a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 300F/)148C) for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool. Transfer baked log to a cutting board. Slice on the bias into ½” (13 mm) slices. Place bake on to clean parchment paper (you can flip previous sheet over to the other side for this) And bake slices 7 minutes each side to dry cookies out.
- Serve with espresso or a hot cup of cocoa!
Keywords: chocolate hazelnut biscotti recipe, Christmas cookie recipe, easy chocolate hazelnut biscotti