It’s funny how these Chocolate Candy Cane Cupcakes brings out the kid in all of us! And this is especially true for me when it comes to candy canes. While I’m probably not going to eat a whole one, I do crave a little nibble of one this time of year. It just transports me back to when I was a kid and couldn’t eat enough of them ha!
These Candy Cane Cupcakes are the perfect “grown up version” of how best to enjoy a candy cane, as an adult. But they are also quite popular with the kids as well! It’s a very easy recipe that is a fun one to bake with the kids, with lots of easy parts for them (mixing the batter, crushing the candy canes, sprinkling them on top).
And these cupcakes become extra cute when baked in these darling snowflake baking cups by Simply Baked. I also like to serve them with their little red wooden spoons as well, so guests don’t have to rip the beautiful cup but can eat them right in the cup! It makes for a great dessert to serve at an office party or open house where guests may not sit down while eating them.
For the snowy frosting I love to use the Wilton 2D tip. You can find that here in their basic tip set. A great tip that creates a beautiful swirl.
For a step-by-step tutorial of this recipe you can watch my demo below. CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL and never miss a recipe! (it’s free) and new videos post each week!
Looking for more Christmas dessert ideas? Have you tried my Chocolate Hazelnut Linzer Cookies (SO GOOD!)? Or perhaps my Buche de Noel (for a real show-stopper!) or the easiest dessert yet, my Holiday Bread Pudding! (I get it, some years its all we have time for!)
- ¼ cup (35 g) bittersweet chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup (70 g) unsweetened Cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) hot water
- 1 cup (200 g) of sugar
- ¾ cup (180 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 ml) peppermint extract
- ¾ cup (90 g) of flour
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) baking soda
- 16 oz (460 g) whipped cream cheese
- ¾ cup (75 g) powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5 ml) of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) milk
- 2 candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350F (175 C) degrees.
- Place 12 Simply Baked baking cups on a baking sheet.
- In a large heat safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and the cocoa powder. Then pour the hot water over the top and whisk to combine.
- Add the sugar and oil, whisk to combine. Add the eggs and whisk until smooth. Add the peppermint extract. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Add this flour mixture, to the chocolate mixture, in thirds, stirring gently with a wire whisk in a figure 8 pattern, just until combined.
- Fill the cupcake wells ¾ of the way full, about 1 good ice cream scoop per cup. Bake 25-30 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting combine cream cheese and powdered sugar in a bowl and with an electric mixer beat until combined. Add milk and vanilla and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer frosting to a pastry bag fitted with your favorite tip (I love the Wilton 2D tip) top with a few crushed candy canes. Serve with the Simply Baked spoons.