- 2 sheets puff pastry, cut into large 10” (25 cm) circles
- 3 tbsp (45ml) store-bought pesto OR Nutella for a dessert version
- 1 egg, beaten
- sesame seeds if desired
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
- Roll out pasty and plate down and cut out circle. Transfer circle to a rimless baking sheet limned with parchment paper.
- Place pesto in middle of the circle and spread over pastry leaving a 1 inch (2.5 cm) border, all the way around pastry circle.
- Place 2nd circle on top.
- Place small juice glass in center of circle to create an indentation. Remove glass.
- Cut pastry into four quarters, keep the center intact as a circle.
- Then go into each quadrant and cut then in half then quarters this will create 4 slices per quadrant and create even “rays” around your tart. Place tray in freezer for 5 mins just to firm up a bit to make it easier to twist the rays.
- Then twist each ray with a 2-turn twist, allowing the tail to lay flat. Once all the twists are made pop the tray back in the freezer for 5 mins, this will make it easier to brush the egg wash on.
- Brush beaten egg on tart. Sprinkle center of the tart with sesame seeds. Place in freezer for 5 mins to firm up. This will help the sun keep its shape as it hits the hot oven.
- NOTE: This whole thing can be done the day before, cover lightly with parchment paper and leave in freezer or fridge and when it comes time to serve, bake immediately no need to thaw first.
- Bake tart for 20-25 mins until golden brown and puffed up. Serve on cutting board and invite guests to twist off the rays!
Keywords: Puff pastry Appetizers, Holiday Appetizers, Puff Pastry Appetizers, Tarte au Soleil