If you need an elegant and tasty egg dish for Easter Sunday Brunch, this one is it! These smoked salmon quiche cups are the hit of any party.
It’s a great combination of flavors between the buttery, flakey filo dough, the warm herby eggs, and the lemon dill cream and salmon on top. They look best when made in a jumbo muffin tin, and actually are a better serving size that way too.
And the best part is you can make the base in advance (filo cups and eggs) and then just reheat and top with the cream and salmon. The filo dough will wilt a bit in your fridge overnight, but not to worry it will crisp right back up when it comes time to re-heat! For a step-by-step demo of this recipe you can watch my video tutorial below.
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL (it’s free!) and never miss a recipe!
- 1 box of Fillo Dough (http://bit.ly/FilloDough) total sheet size is 13”x 9”
- 12 eggs
- ¾ cup (180 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- pepper to taste
- ¾ cup (180 ml) of Mozzarella Cheese (1 tbsp (15 ml) each cup)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) minced chives
- 12 slices of salmon
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) sour cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon zest
- 1 tbsp (5 ml) fresh dill, minced
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/(190 C).
- Grease each muffin well with butter. Set aside.
- Take a stack of 6-8 sheets of the thawed fillo dough. Cut it in half vertically, and then cut each half in half horizontally. You will end up with 4 rectangular stacks.
- Place one rectangular stack in the muffin well, vertically and fit it snuggly, then place another stack of rectangles in the well going horizontally, creating a “T”. Make sure dough it snug. Repeat process until all your wells are filled.
- Whisk together eggs, heavy cream salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a pitcher for easy pouring. Set aside.
- Fill the bottom of each muffin well with a tbsp (15 ml) of cheese and a tsp (5 ml) of chives. Then pour egg mixture ¾ of the way full.
- Bake at 375F/190C for 12-13 mins until cups are golden brown and eggs are puffed up.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile create the lemon cream by simply combining the sour cream, lemon zest and minced dill.
- Top each cup with a dollop of lemon cream, and a piece of smoked salmon, rolled decoratively on top. Garnish with a small sprig of dill on top.
This can all be done the day before. Cover baked cups with aluminum, pop in the fridge. Then remove foil, reheat at 300F (150C) for 10-15 mins until fillo dough is crispy and eggs are warmed through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 557 Total Fat: 34g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 23g Cholesterol: 334mg Sodium: 222mg Carbohydrates: 1g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 57g