- 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil
- 2 lbs (900 g) ground chuck beef (85% lean 15% fat)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1 cup (150 g) white onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 cans (30 oz/900 ml) diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) tomato paste
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 2 tsp (10 ml) smoked paprika
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cumin
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground coriander
- 4 tsp (20 ml) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 ml) white vinegar
- SERVE WITH:
- Store-bought taco shells
- A selection of hot sauces
- 1 cup (240 ml) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (240 ml) shredded iceberg lettuce
- Set slow cooker on brown/saute at 400F.(200C). Drizzle oil in the cooking pot and brown meat until cooked through.
- Then add all ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Press: Slow Cook. Allow to slow cook on low for anywhere for 3-7 hours.
- Just before serving check add 1 tsp white vinegar, stir to combine. Serve with store-bought taco shells, cheese, shredded lettuce and hot sauce.
- Makes for great easy leftovers too!
If not making in a slow cooker, use a large stockpot or dutch oven. Drizzle 1 tbsp of oil in the pot and saute onions until soft and tender. Then brown meat until cooked through, then add all ingredients and simmer for 30-40 minutes until most liquid is evaporated. Add vinegar, stir and serve!
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex