This time of year pluots are in season! They are one of my favorite summertime fruits and I always feel so lucky to live in California and have access to such amazing produce, I’m embarrassed to say year round (gulp) I know, it’s a serious luxury that is not wasted on me 🙂
Topped with a crunchy almond brittle these sundaes are so easy and delicious!
For a step-by-step tutorial you can watch my video demo below. Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! (Not to worry it’s free!)
If you need a quick and easy summer dessert idea for your next dinner party, you cannot go wrong with these! Tart and sweet, decadently delicious without being too heavy after a big meal. Enjoy! xxPrint
- 8 medium ripe pluots
- ¼ cup (50 g) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) water
- 1 tsp ( 5 ml) almond extract
- FOR BRITTLE
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 1 cup (150 g) sliced blanched almonds
- TO ASSEMBLE
- Vanilla ice cream
- Store bought cookies of choice
- FOR BRITTLE:
- Grease a baking sheet with butter and set aside.
- Heat sugar in a non-stick large skillet on medium high. DO NOT WALK AWAY! Watch the sugar until it begins to melt and dissolve. Then start to turn the pan allowing it to dissolve further. To help it along you can use a heat safe spatula to stir it.
- Once sugar is all dissolved, turn off flame, add almonds and stir to coat. Transfer mixture to baking sheet to harden. Once cooled, place brittle in a plastic bag, and whack with a rolling pin to crush it a bit. Transfer to a bowl, and cover until ready to serve.
- FOR PLUOT SAUCE:
- Slice pluots in half and remove the pits with a melon baller or spoon. Slice into wedges.
- Place fruit in a large sauce pan. Add sugar and water. Cover and heat on medium high until boiling. Remove lids and allow water to evaporate and thicken fruit mixture. If mixture looks to dry, keep adding water for desired sauciness.
- Once fruit is firm and sauce has thickened. Remove from flame and stir in almond extract (or Amaretto liquor great too!)
- Scoop 1-2 scoops of vanilla ice cream into a “fancy” glass, margarita glasses work well for this!
- Spoon pluot mixture over ice cream, top with almond brittle, serve with your favorite “fancy” cookies or shortbreads.