This homemade Pineapple Upside down Cake is a a delicious spring dessert recipe that uses minimum ingredients but delivers maximum results! So easy and delicious!
- For topping:
- 1 cup (180 g) brown sugar
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) melted butter
- 7 pineapple rings, canned variety
- For Cake:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (200 g) of sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1 cup (120 g) of flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) salt
- For Serving:
- Coconut Ice Cream
- Beth’s Caramel Sauce (see below)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Unsweetened Coconut flakes
- For the Caramel Topping:
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- ½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream (AKA double pouring cream)
- 1 tbsp (15 g) unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp (.75 ml) sea salt
- Spray a 10” (25 cm) cake pan with baking spray. Then pour the melted butter into pan, sprinkle with the brown sugar until evenly distributed. Place pineapple rings on top filling the bottom of the pan in an even layer. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the egg and the sugar on high for 5-7 minuets until doubled in volume and pale yellow. Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add slowly to the egg mixture until just combined.
- Pour batter on top of pineapples and bake at 350F (175C) for 30 mins until golden brown and set.
- Allow to cool for 15 mins and then reverse the cake onto a cake stand.
- TO PREPARE THE CARAMEL TOPPING:
- Heat white sugar in a deep saucepan. As it heats the sugar will melt and begin to caramelize. Keep swirling it in the pan, lowering flame if needed so that it does not burn. Once it reaches a caramel color, add the heavy cream allow it to bubble and then it will settle down. Add butter and salt. Use immediately. Or transfer to a heat safe container and refrigerate until ready to re-heat and serve.
- Cut cake into slices and serve with coconut ice cream drizzled with caramel sauce and topped with unsweetened coconut flakes.
Be sure to spray the pan well with baking spray for easy release and flip once the cake is baked!
This cake can be made the day before serving. Cover and refrigerate in the tin. Re-heat in a 300F oven for 10 minutes, allow to cool for 15 minutes and then flip and serve.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pineapple Upside Down Cake, Homemade Pineapple Upside Down Cake, Easy Pineapple upside down cake