Christmas brings out the kid in all of us and there’s no better way to feel like a kid again than to whip up a batch of my peppermint hot chocolate. It’s so easy to do and once you make hot chocolate from scratch, you’ll never go back to anything from a “packet”.
For a festive touch you can top with whipped cream flavored with peppermint extract and garnish with crushed candy canes.
The candy canes begin to melt as the heat from the hot chocolate begins to envelop them. This adds more minty flavor to the rich chocolate below.
For a step-by-step tutorial of this recipe you can watch my video below. SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL and never miss a recipe! (it’s free!) and new videos post every Saturday!
It’s also quite cute to serve this Peppermint Hot Chocolate with some candy cane spoons. Makes for a charming addition! (This link goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner)
- 3 ½ cups (820 ml) of whole milk
- ½ cup (120ml) of heavy cream
- 5 tbsp (75ml) of unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup (25 g) powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- FOR WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING:
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tbsp (6 g) powdered sugar
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) of peppermint extract
- 2 candy canes, crushed
- 4-6 candy cane spoons (or regular candy canes for stirrers)
- Prepare the whipped cream topping. In a bowl whip together 1 cup of heavy cream, powdered sugar, and peppermint extract. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Then place 2 candy canes in a resealable bag, whack gently with a rolling pin to crush.
- In a large saucepan, add milk and cream. To that add the cocoa and sugar and a pinch of salt. Heat on medium low until steaming.
- Pour hot chocolate 2/3 of the way up the mug, pipe the whipped cream on top, sprinkle with the crushed candy canes and serve with a candy cane spoon.