This gingerbread hot chocolate recipe is a nice twist on a traditional classic. It's a great one for Christmas morning breakfast because you can make it the night before, reheat and serve!
This recipe comes from my Christmas Morning Breakfast Menu I did for the Kin Community YouTube Channel a few years back. You can watch the full video below!
Need more menu ideas? Watch all my Kin Community Menu Videos here.
More Recipes from this video include:
STEP#1 : Make The Whipped Cream Topping
You'll add heavy cream, vanilla extract and powdered sugar to a bowl of an electric mixer.
Then you'll add a selection of spices such as cinnamon, cloves, ground ginger and allspice (recipe below).
This creates the "Gingerbread flavor" as the cream melts into the hot chocolate. For another fun Christmas flavor my my Peppermint Hot Chocolate Recipe.
You can then transfer your whipped cream to an air-tight container so it's it's ready to go on Christmas morning (saves a step during the morning chaos!)
STEP#2: Heat Milk and Half and Half. Add Chocolate
I find a combination of milk and half and half creates the best consistency for homemade hot chocolate. It's not too rich and not too watery. It's just right!
Then you'll add the chocolate. I like to use milk chocolate chips for this because then you don't need to add anymore sugar, the milk chocolate is sweet enough.
But you could also add semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips and add a little powdered sugar to sweeten it up as desired.
STEP#3: Pipe Whipped Cream
To make your whipped cream topping look extra fancy, transfer it to a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and pipe a little mound on top.
STEP#4: Add Cinnamon Stick Stirrer
Finish with a cinnamon stick stirrer and you'll have one festive hot chocolate for Christmas morning breakfast! Merry Christmas!
Looking for more Christmas Morning Recipes?
- Apple Cider Pancakes
- Easy Frittata with Roasted Potatoes
- Ham, Cheese and Leek Breakfast bakes
- Herby, Cheesy Egg Casserole
- Sticky Buns
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE BY LEAVING A RATING AND REVIEW BELOW!
- 6 cup (1440ml) of whole milk
- 1 cup (240ml) half and half
- 1 cup (240ml)milk chocolate chips
- 6 cinnamon sticks for garnish
Gingerbread Whipped Cream
- 2 cups (480 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1 tbsp (7 g) powder sugar
- ¼ tsp (0.5 g) ground ginger
- ¾ tsp (2 g) cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 g) allspice
- ¼ tsp cloves (.0.5 g) ground
- For gingerbread cream, combine all ingredients in a bowl and whip until stiff peaks form.
- For hot chocolate, place milk, and half and half in a large sauce pan, set on simmer. Once it begins to warm add chocolate chips. Stir with a whisk until chocolate is completely dissolved.
- Garnish with gingerbread cream on top, and 1 cinnamon stick for a stirrer.
You can make the whipped cream ahead of time. Place in a air-tight container and store in the refrigerator
You can also make the hot chocolate ahead of time. Place in a glass pitcher and either heat in the microwave until hot, or pour back in to the sauce pan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 109mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 8g