Smashed potato recipe with garlic, parmesan and parsley. The perfect side dish for a Sunday night dinner. Pairs beautifully with Chicken, Pork or Beef.
- 16 oz (450 g) red baby potatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) melted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- a sprinkle of fleur de sel sea salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 425F (218C)
- Boil potatoes until soft and tender. Drain and pat dry.
- Place potatoes on a rimmed lined cookie sheet and press each one down, gently, with a potato masher. It’s OK if they crumble a bit a fall apart, just bring the crumbs together to form a cohesive disk, they will come together once roasted.
- Drizzle olive oil over smashed potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk melted butter with minced garlic clove. Set aside.
- After potatoes have roasted for 20 minutes, pull the tray out and with a pastry brush, gently brush each potato with the melted butter mixture and place the tray back in the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Then remove potatoes with a spatula and place in a shallow bowl. Sprinkle with some fleur de sel sea salt. Add the chopped parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Red Potatoes (or Yukon Golds) work best for this recipe because of their waxy texture. Stay away from starchy potatoes like russets since they’ll fall apart too easily.
- Be sure to pat your boiled potatoes really dry. A dry potato will crisp up much better than one that is wet, which will steam up.
- You can also use a meat mallet to smash your potatoes, you’ll just get a flatter potato
- Once the potatoes are done, you can keep them warm in a 200F oven before serving. They just get better the longer they sit in there. But I wouldn’t go over 30 minutes.
Keywords: Easy Smashed Potatoes, How to Create a Crispy Smashed Potato, The Best Smashed Potato Recipe