What could be better than a melt-in-your mouth Christmas cookie sandwiched between Nutella!? These cookies are so beautiful to make and delicious to eat!
- 1 cup (240 g) butter
- 1 ¼ cups (125 g) powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (180g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (240g) of Hazelnut Flour or Hazelnut meal (same thing)
- ½ tsp salt (2.5 ml)
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) baking powder
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella or other brand)
- 2–3 tbsp (26-39g) powdered sugar for dusting
- Beat butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Then slowly add the sugar in stages until smooth and fluffy. Add in egg and egg yolk one at a time until well combined.
- Then add vanilla extract.
- In a smaller bowl combine all-purpose flour, hazelnut flour, salt, baking powder. Whisk together until combined. Add to the flour mixture to the butter mixture in thirds, until combined.
- The dough will be very sticky. Remove the dough and form into 2 equal-sized mounds, place on parchment paper or wax paper. Flatten into disks (by folding the paper over it. It will be easier this way than handling it since it is so sticky!) and wrap in paper well. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or over night.
- Then roll out one disk on a floured surface to 1/8 thick. Using the bottom half of the Linzer cookie cutter, cut out the bottoms and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake bottoms at 350F (176C) for 10 mins. Remove and allow to cool on baking tray. They will continue to “bake” this way sitting on the hot tray and firm up.
- Then add the star attachment to the Linzer cookie cutter and cut out the tops. Bake tops for just 9 mins. Allow to cool on tray as well.
- Once the cookies are cooled, dust the tops with powdered sugar.
- Then dollop a small amount (about the size of a marble) of Nutella on the bottom cookie, in the center. Top with star tops.
Cookies could be baked the day before and assembled the day of.
- Category: Cookie
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: entertaining with beth, linzer cookie, Christmas Cookie, Christmas Recipes, Cookie Recipes, video recipes, video recipes desserts