Super easy, chocolate Candy Cane Cupcakes! A great holiday cupcake recipe for Christmas!
- ¼ cup (35 g) bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup (70 g) unsweetened Cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) hot water
- 1 cup (200 g) of sugar
- ¾ cup (180 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 ml) peppermint extract
- ¾ cup (90 g) of flour
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) baking soda
- 16 oz (460 g) whipped cream cheese
- ¾ cup (75 g) powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5 ml) of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) milk
- 2 candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350F (175 C) degrees.
- Place 12 Simply Baked baking cups on a baking sheet.
- In a large heat safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and the cocoa powder. Then pour the hot water over the top and whisk to combine.
- Add the sugar and oil, whisk to combine. Add the eggs and whisk until smooth. Add the peppermint extract. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Add this flour mixture, to the chocolate mixture, in thirds, stirring gently with a wire whisk in a figure 8 pattern, just until combined.
- Fill the cupcake wells ¾ of the way full, about 1 good ice cream scoop per cup. Bake 25-30 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting combine cream cheese and powdered sugar in a bowl and with an electric mixer beat until combined. Add milk and vanilla and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer frosting to a pastry bag fitted with your favorite tip (I love the Wilton 2D tip ) top with a few crushed candy canes. Serve with the Simply Baked spoons.
Keywords: Candy Cane Cupcakes, Candy Cane Cupcakes Chocolate, Christmas Cupcakes, Cupcakes Winter, Chocolate Cupcakes Christmas, Christmas Desserts, Easy Holiday Desserts