Soft-serve Ic Cream Sandwiches were the mainstay of my New England childhood. But they can be hard to find sometimes here out West, so I decided I would try and make my own! And let me tell you, they are even better!
For a step-by-step tutorial you can watch my video demo here. Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! (It’s free!)
The best part of these sandwiches is that you can bake the cookies yourself using your favorite decorative design.
They come out much more chocolatey this way and crisper too! So it’s worth the effort.
And the “Iced Cream” couldn’t be easier to do! No-Machine needed which is nice! 🙂
All you do is make a sweetened whipped cream, pipe and serve. It has more sugar in it than regular whipped cream, which gives it a nicer texture, much like real ice cream.
I promise these will be the hit at your next summertime gathering! A real vintage treat to be enjoyed for kids of all ages! Enjoy! xx
- For Cookies:
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- For Iced Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup powdered sugar*
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- Beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixture until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, until well combined. Form dough into a ball, and flatten into a disc. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out dough on a well-floured surface to about ¼ ". Cut round cookies and transfer to a cookie sheet lined with parchment.
- Pop in freezer for 5 mins to preserve their shape when they bake
- Bake 350F for 8 mins until set
- For Cream:
- In an electric mixer whip together cream, sugars, and vanilla.
- Whip until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a pastry bag with a large star tip.
- To assemble place cookies on their backs. Top one with a piped nest of cream on top 2 rows. Place in the freezer, and then place the other cookie gently on top, press down gently to adhere.
- Freeze sandwiches a minimum of two hours. Keep frozen until ready to serve. Enjoy!