Easy pasta dishes are a staple at our house. They are quick, easy and comforting. I love this recipe for Orecchiette with Sausage and Broccoli because it has everything going for it.
The kick of the spicy sausage, the freshness of the baby broccoli and of course lots of freshly grated parmesan cheese.
This time of year you can find the baby broccoli in the markets and I love to use it for weeknight meals because it cooks up so quickly and can also be easier for the little ones to chew.
For a step-by-step demo of this recipe you can watch my video tutorial below. SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL (it’s free!) and never miss a recipe!
- 1 lb (450g) Orecchiette Pasta
- 2 tsp (10 ml) olive oil
- 1 lb (450g) Italian Pork Sausage (mild or hot) removed from their casings
- 3 cups (700ml) baby broccoli, or broccolini or rapini
- ¼ cup (60 ml) white wine
- 2 cups (480ml) chicken broth
- ½ cup (45g) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (15ml) Italian parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Boil pasta according to package instructions.
- In a large sauté pan heat olive oil, cook sausage, cutting up with a wooden spoon and browning on all sides. Cook until cooked through.
- Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Pour oil out of pan, but leave any drippings in the pan.
- Deglaze pan with wine, simmer until slightly reduced add chicken brown and reduce by ⅓.
- Add in sausage and baby broccoli cook broccoli just for 1-2 mins until bright green.
- Drain pasta, add pasta to sausage and broccoli. Turn to coat with sauce. Add cheese and turn to coat.
- Transfer to a large serving bowl, top with a little more cheese and freshly chopped Italian parsley and red pepper flakes (if using mild Italian sausage)
- Makes for great leftovers!