These easy almond croissants have a wonderful “homemade quality” to them, but require half the effort of a traditional croissant thanks to the use of some store-bought puff pastry. (This link goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner)
Just cut the pastry into 3x 5 rectangles. I recommend the Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets because it comes already scored into panels so all you have to do is cut each panel into 2 pieces are you are good to go!
Scoop a dollop of homemade almond cream in the center (recipe follows)
Fold over opposing corners to meet in the middle…
..allowing them to overlap a bit.
Brush with egg wash and top with raw, slivered almonds. I think the kind with the skin on them makes for a pretty rustic touch.
Bake for 20 minutes. Then dust with powdered sugar and pile high on a fancy cake stand.
And then sit back and watch them disappear in minutes!
For a step-by-step tutorial watch my video below. SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL and never miss a recipe! (it’s free!) and new videos post each Saturday!
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 4 oz of almond paste (* see link below for how to make almond paste)
- 3 eggs, separated
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 package puffed pastry (you will need 2 sheets)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Beat together butter, sugar and almond paste until combined.
- Add 2 eggs, one at a time, reserving the 3 egg for the egg wash. Then add the almond extract.
- Add flour slowly until just combined.
- Cut out a 3 x5 square of puffed pastry. Place 2 tbsp of almond paste in the center. Take one corner and fold it over the cream, and then take the other corner and fold it over the top.
- At this stage you could cover with plastic wrap and place your tray in the fridge overnight. And then the next morning proceed as follows.
- Lightly beat 1 egg, and then with a pastry brush, brush the egg wash over the pastries. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp of almonds
- Place in the oven 20 mins until puffed and golden brown.