‘Tis the season for Christmas Cookie Recipes, and this Chocolate Hazelnut Linzer Cookie ranks high on my list! There’s something so festive about a Christmas cookie dusted with powdered sugar sandwiched between gooey chocolate hazelnut spread. Does it get any better?
These cookies are so dainty and beautiful they deserve their own fancy cake stand. The fancier the better in my opinion. I found this inexpensive brass cake stand at Home Goods and then dressed it up with some “faux greenery” and a bright red ribbon, and presto! Instant Christmas.
These are the perfect cookie for a dessert buffet or office party, or just to serve after Christmas Dinner with coffee or espresso.
To create the design you’ll need a Linzer Cookie Cutter set. You can find it here in my Amazon Shop (this link goes to Amazon, where I am an affiliate partner) I really like this set because it comes with a few different shapes. I use the star for Christmas and then the heart for Valentines Day.
The bottoms of the cookies are made with the basic cutter, with no inserts. This is actually a great shape all on its own and would be great to use for other things, like cheese coins.
Then when it comes time to make the tops, just twist in the shape and away you go!
These cookies are really easy to make and can be filled with all sorts of things, such as jam, ganache, lemon curd you name it!
Once the cookies are baked, dust the tops with powdered sugar…
Dollop on the Nutella to the bottoms, or raspberry jam would be nice too!
Sandwich the two together, et voila!
For a step-by-step tutorial of this recipe you can watch my video demo below.
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL (it’s free!) and never miss a recipe!
- 1 cup (240 g) butter
- 1 ¼ cups (125 g) powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (180g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (240g) of Hazelnut Flour or Hazelnut meal (same thing)
- ½ tsp salt (2.5 ml)
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) baking powder
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella or other brand)
- 2-3 tbsp (26-39g) powdered sugar for dusting
- Beat butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Then slowly add the sugar in stages until smooth and fluffy. Add in egg and egg yolk one at a time until well combined.
- Then add vanilla extract.
- In a smaller bowl combine all-purpose flour, hazelnut flour, salt, baking powder. Whisk together until combined. Add to the flour mixture to the butter mixture in thirds, until combined.
- The dough will be very sticky. Remove the dough and form into 2 equal-sized mounds, place on parchment paper or wax paper. Flatten into disks (by folding the paper over it. It will be easier this way than handling it since it is so sticky!) and wrap in paper well. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or over night.
- Then roll out one disk on a floured surface to ⅛ thick. Using the bottom half of the Linzer cookie cutter, cut out the bottoms and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake bottoms at 350F (176C) for 10 mins. Remove and allow to cool on baking tray. They will continue to “bake” this way sitting on the hot tray and firm up.
- Then add the star attachment to the Linzer cookie cutter and cut out the tops. Bake tops for just 9 mins. Allow to cool on tray as well.
- Once the cookies are cooled, dust the tops with powdered sugar.
- Then dollop a small amount (about the size of a marble) of Nutella on the bottom cookie, in the center. Top with star tops.