Homemade Birthday Cakes hold a special place in my heart. And if you ask me the more “imperfect” they are the more perfect they tend to be 🙂 You can read my blog post for The Inspired Home website on the subject here.
I love this Chocolate Birthday Cake Recipe for all the right reasons. It’s easy, takes minimal skill, is rich and chocolatey, and best of all the frosting is not too sweet. (Is it me or has American Birthday Cake frosting hit an all time insane level of sweetness?!)
For a step-by-step video tutorial you can watch the video below! Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! It’s free! 🙂
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! (It’s free!)
- 2 oz (56 g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup (100g) unsweetened Cocoa powder
- 1 cup (240 ml) hot water
- 2 ¼ cups (450g) of sugar
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla
- 1¼ cup (150g) of flour
- 1 ½ (7.5 ml) tsp salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 2 cups (480 ml) heavy cream or whipping cream
- 1 cup (100 g) powdered sugar
- ½ cup (50 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5 ml) vanilla
- ¼-1/2 cup (60ml-120ml) of milk
- Gold sprinkles
- Birthday Candles
- Preheat oven to 350F (175 C) degrees.
- Spray two 9” (23 cm) cake pans with cooking spray for baking.
- In a large heat safe bowl, add the 2 oz (56 g) of chocolate. Add the cocoa powder and then the hot boiling water, whisk to combine. Chocolate will melt as you whisk.
- Add the sugar, whisk to combine. Then add the oil, whisk to combine. At this point batter is cool enough to add the eggs without scrambling Add eggs one at a time and whisk until smooth. Add the vanilla and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture in thirds to the chocolate mixture, stirring gently with a wire whisk until combined.
- Pour batter into the pans. Filling each one ⅓ of the way full. Tap on counter to release air bubbles.
- Bake for 22-25 mins, or until a long toothpick or skewer comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool and then release them from the pans onto cooling racks.
- To make frosting whip all ingredients (EXCEPT MILK) with an electric mixer on high speed. Until frosting forms soft but slightly stiff peaks. Then thin with milk ¼ cup at a time until desired consistency.
- Transfer 1st layer to cake stand with the cake lifter or large spatula.
- Dollop ¾ cup of frosting in the center and smooth with an offset spatula just to the edge.
- Place second layer on top and repeat, and then third and final layer and repeat. Create nice swirls with the offsets spatula for a decorative finish.
- Sprinkle top with gold sprinkles and top with birthday candles.