My childhood summers are filled with memories of this Blueberry Crumb Cake. We had a good family friend that generously opened her summer house to us each year and we would all barrel in with great enthusiasm each summer!
I think back to that now, wondering how a lovely woman who lived alone for most of the year, in a charming antique-filled dollhouse of a home, could muster up the strength to welcome (with open arms!) a family of five, with 3 very active kids in tow!) Did I mention this lady was special?
Then I remember the lake that was situated just across the street. My siblings and I would spring from our beds, inner tube in tow, and run down there and jump in the frigid temperatures (oh the reckless abandon of youth!) and then come back to the house, soaking wet and be greeted with this delicious blueberry crumb cake for breakfast. This cake was devoured by my siblings and I and stands as a beloved pillar of our childhood.
I like to bake it in a 10″ x 10″ removable bottom pan, because it makes it really easy to release once the cake is baked. The model I like best can be found in my Baking Essentials Kit (these links go to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner)
Then just cut into squares and serve! Best eaten just slightly warm.
Pile high on a cake stand and you are good to go. I love to serve this cake for brunches (It would be perfect for Easter or Mother’s Day!) or great for afternoon tea, baby or bridal showers. You can also make this cake ahead of time and reheat to serve. It also freezes well too! What’s not to love?! Ha!
For a step-by-step demo of this recipe you can watch my video tutorial below. SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL (it’s free!) and never miss a recipe! New videos post each Saturday!
- For the Cake:
- ½ cup (120g) of butter
- ¾ cup (150g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 2 cups (240g) of flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) salt
- ½ cup (120 ml) milk
- 2 cups (300g) fresh blueberries
- 1 cup (200g) of sugar
- ½ cup (120g) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- ½ cup (120g) butter
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
- Spray a square 10” x 10” (25cm x 25cm) pan with baking spray. Set aside
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy, add eggs one at a time and beat well until light and fluffy, add vanilla. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt whisk together. Add flour mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk until a batter forms. Remove bowl from the mixer.
- Fold in blueberries. Transfer batter to pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the topping. Add the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Whisk to combine. Cut in butter with hands until small crumbs form. Sprinkle topping on top of batter until a layer is formed and batter is fully covered.
- Bake 40-45 mins until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely. Run sharp knife along perimeter of cake to loosen before removing it. Cut into 9 squares and serve!