If you want an easy tea cake that is sure to impress, this is it! I love this cake so much because the whole thing can be mixed up with 2 bowls and a whisk. No need to drag out the electric mixer, cream the butter and so on. This is a “dump and stir” recipe that punches above its weight class!
I like to bake it in a deep dish Quiche Pan. It allows for some beautiful fluted edges and creates a nice unexpected design. You can find a good one in my Baking Essential Kit Shop (these links go to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner) and then you can also use it for making a spectacular Quiche Recipe too!
The thing that’s great about this Tea Cake recipe is its texture, light and fluffy with just the right amount of sweetness coming from the almond extract, and the crunch of the almonds on top gives it a great finish.
I serve it at brunches or sometimes even for a easy spring time dessert. You can also swap out the fruit too. It’s also great with strawberries, raspberries, cherries or apricots, all pair very well with almond.
For a step-by-step demo of this recipe you can watch my video tutorial below. SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL (it’s free!) and never miss a recipe! New videos post each Saturday!
- ¾ cup (180 ml) of melted unsalted butter
- ¼ cup (60 ml) canola oil
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ (7.5 ml) tsp pure almond extract
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 1 ½ cups (180 g) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 6 oz (170 g) fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup (50 g) raw sliced almonds
- 1-2 tbsp (13 g) of powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F/(176C) degrees.
- Spray a 10” (25 cm) deep dish, removable bottom, fluted tart pan with baking spray. Set aside. (you can also use a regular cake pan, or turn this into muffins too)
- In a large bowl combine melted butter, canola oil, and sugar. Mix well until combine. Then with a wire whisk whip in eggs, whisking until combined. Add almond extract and water and stir well.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt whisk until combined. Add flour mixture to wet mixture, stir gently with a wooden spoon or spatula. Add blueberries, stirring in gently.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and top with a sprinkle of raw almonds. Bake for 25-30 mins until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the tin. Place on a cake stand and dust with powdered sugar.